Looking Back, Looking Ahead
WOW! What a special time we had at our first virtual reunion webinar on Saturday, May 23. Over 200 classmates joined your class officers for a meaningful and fun presentation that included a Class Meeting, Service of Remembrance, Then and Now Video, and Virtual Alumnae Parade. If you missed it or want to revisit the videos, go to our password-protected 50th Reunion page for the link to our virtual reunion recording. (To “open the door,” type in the name of the campus pond, in lower case.)
To view the program for the Service of Remembrance presented during our May 23 Virtual Reunion, visit our In Memoriam page. (Scroll down to the Class Website section for the password hint.)
Thanks to Zoom, we held house reunions that income ways enabled deeper connections than we might have during an in-person reunion, when we were dashing here and there. Let’s keep this energy going until 2025! These suggestions can help:
- Dues: To rebuild our treasury so that our 55th Reunion in 2025 is fabulous and we stay connected as a class, we need your class dues to cover the 2020-2025 period. Only $70 for 5 years–where else can you get so much for less than 4¢ a day? See our Dues page for details on where to send your check.
- Virtual House and other Mini-Reunions: Many houses have had wonderful reunions already and are planning to make them regular events. For more information and online meeting resources, go to our Virtual Reunions page.
- Class Survey: The survey team’s expanded report with the full survey results and additional commentary is now available. Click here to view it: 50th Reunion Survey
- Class Book: We hope you enjoy reading about your classmates and will reach out to reconnect. (Didn’t get yours? Email us at smithclassof1970 [at] gmail.com.)
- 50th Reunion Scarves: Those who attended the virtual reunion or requested a scarf should have received one. Wear it proudly, and post photos to our Facebook page! Many thanks to Deidre O’Flaherty for designing it and to those who joined her for the the mailing party: Susanna Natti (host), Susan Adams, Paula Cortes, Kathy Danen, Terry Marotta, Jane Sherwin.
- Virtual Art Exhibit: Please visit it and enjoy your classmates’ creativity. Our gallery is growing, so check back often and continue to send your submissions for the slide show; directions are on the page.
- Fund Raising Update: Mary Grant and her team are proud to report that as of late May, we raised $10,593,257 for our Total Reunion Gift, including $1,132,426 for the Class of 1970 Endowed Scholarship. For all the details, visit our Supporting Smith page.
Let’s Be (Facebook) Friends!
Facebook offers another way to know the latest class news, catch up with old friends, and make new connections. Our private group is growing andnow has more than 150 members.
If you’ve hesitated to join Facebook because of privacy concerns, we assure you that this group is members-only. The site administrators verify all requests so that only classmates can become members and post.
If you are not on Facebook yet but would like to join our private class Facebook group, there are two easy steps. Go to Facebook.com and follow the sign-up instructions. Once your membership is confirmed, go to the Smith Class of 1970 page and send a request to join. You can also set your privacy settings so that only friends—those you invite or accept—have access to your profile and can post.
We update this website regularly, with the latest information on the welcome page so you can find it quickly. This Welcome page is public.
Because of privacy concerns, most other pages are password protected (to prevent search engines and unwanted people from accessing our information) and viewable by only you and your classmates. The password is easy to remember: the pond where we rowed crew and went ice skating in the winter (one word, eight letters, all lower case). Questions? Please e-mail the Web administrator: smithclassof1970 [at] gmail.com.
Is Your Contact Information Current?
Are you getting class emails? If not, the Office of Alumnae Relations, which sends our broadcast emails, doesn’t have an email on file for you. To update your contact information, go to the Alumnae Directory and log in; click on “My Profile,” then “Update My Information.” Then scroll all the way to the bottom to Communication Preferences to specify which types of email you wish to receive—just class emails and club emails, for example. You can switch to “No email contact” at any time. You can also email your changes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only you can make changes to your profile; please do not send the information to us.
This is the official web site of the Smith College Class of 1970, independent of, but affiliated with, the Alumnae Association of Smith College. This page was created by and for the Class of 1970 of Smith College. Information on this page is intended for individual communication of a personal nature among Smith alumnae from the Class of 1970. Use of this information for any other purpose is strictly prohibited. Accuracy of the information on these pages cannot be guaranteed. Smith College and the Alumnae Association of Smith College are not responsible for the content of these pages. Responsibility for that content belongs solely to the Smith College Class of 1970. This site is maintained by the class Web Administrator.